Project & Role Overview
Mimpi Dreams is a 2D parallax puzzle platformer for mobile devices, where the Player controls a dog that has to help those in need during its dreams. Aimed towards children, Mimpi features simple platforming and simple touch and timing based puzzles.
During my freelance period at Dreadlocks, I was put part time on Mimpi dreams as a level designer, and scripter.
I was allowed to jump into an already established game that was released, and build upon it. It was interesting to find a way to design and style the level so that it would feel like the original. We did this mainly by working very close with the original artist, always ensuring that the what I was creating was in line with the previous levels. I wanted the new level to feel like Mimpi, and was never afraid to discard ideas or sections that where not up to standard.
Because of its already existing framework, there were also quite some scripts (and their nuances) that I could use for prototypes of new puzzles and new ideas.
- Designed overall layout of the new Mars level.
- Worked together with artist to ensure art assets would work in Unity.
- Set dressing of the whole level with art provided by artist.
- Set up of colliders and triggers throughout the level.
- Integrate sections from other designers into the level.
- Designed, tested, implemented and fine-tuned several puzzles using existing scripts.
- Prototyped several mechanics using scripts that were already in the project.
- Combined existing scripts to create the new puzzles.
- Integrated puzzles designed by other designers.
- Creating puzzles and set dressing in accordance to an already set style.
- Design and set dressing using parallax 2D.
- Level Design for children.
- How to handle situations with very little programming available.
Looking back on the level I think that we retained as much as possible of the original style, while providing enough fresh content to keep the Player interested throughout the level. This showed me that in practice I can jump into an existing game and franchise and retain enough of its core values while introducing new elements that fit.